As another jam-packed year of hard work at New Forest Ice Cream draws to an end, we just wanted to drop by to share some festive goodwill and say a huge thank you to all of our customers that continue to support us. We really hope you have a truly amazing Christmas, eating lots of ice cream, getting cosy watching festive films and most importantly, having chance to relax and spend quality time with your loved ones – because let’s face it, that’s what Christmas is all about! We’re already excited about 2017, a year which promises even more exciting new flavours and plenty of opportunity to enjoy your traditional favourites, but for now, we wish you nothing but the merriest of Christmas wishes and bid you all a happy New Year!
Wishing you a very happy National Ice Cream Month from all of the team here at New Forest Ice Cream! It probably isn’t a surprise that this is our favourite time of year and of course our favourite month. The summer is the perfect opportunity to indulge in the delicious frozen delight even more than usual. It makes us very happy that there is an entire month dedicated to doing just that.
In 1984 President Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month and the third Sunday of the month as National Ice Cream Day. This means that National Ice Cream Day will be celebrated on 16th July this year, not long to wait! What better way to celebrate than to treat yourself to a scoop or two of your favourite New Forest Ice Cream?
As its National Ice Cream month, we thought we would share some interesting facts about New Forest Ice Cream. After 37 years in the industry we certainly have some to share…
· New Forest Ice Cream was founded in Lymington in 1983. 34 years of making delic ious ice cream and sorbet!
· We remain a family run business, with directors Christina Veal and Nicola Jenman being twin daughters of the founders, Sue & Lawrie Jenman, along with cousin, David Bishop who is Production Director.
· Our ice creams and sorbets have won exclusive ‘Great Taste Award Gold Stars’ every year since 2012!
· Our Vanilla stays at No.1 position even after 34 years with Salted Caramel coming in close behind.
· During a sunny National Ice Cream month we can produce 4000 litres of ice cream every hour!
Every day is National Ice Cream day for us, so make the most of the sunshine this weekend and head down to the New Forest Ice Cream parlour to get in plenty of practice before the 16th! We have over 20 flavours of ice cream and sorbets to pick and choose from, so you’re sure to be a connoisseur by the end of the month.
Move over florals - ice cream is the new summer fashion trend and of course, we had to get involved! We have spotted a few great options, if like us, you fancy rocking the ice cream prints and making a real statement this season.
Very reminiscent of the retro 50’s and taking pastels to a whole new level, ice cream has been making its way into fashion quite a lot recently. The cute illustrations and fun colours are perfect for summer and sure to brighten up the day whether the sun is shining or not!
Muted and dusted colours go hand in hand with ice cream so if you’re a fan of pastels, this trend will be right up your street. Baby pinks, blues, mint and yellows all work really well with ice cream patterns and prints, instantly adding a dash of the 50’s vintage scene. What could be better than looking like you’ve just come from a diner full of bubble gum dresses, milkshakes and sundaes topped with glacé cherries?
There are many different designs on the high street to suit everyone’s individual style; the pale blue off the shoulder dress from ASOS is colourful and vibrant choice. Alternatively, the navy blouses from River Island & Zara are a little bit more sophisticated and work appropriate, incorporating the trend in a more subtle manner.
With it being the peak of summer and ice cream being more fashionable than ever, we have picked a few of our favourite pieces that feature the ice cream trend! Let’s face it; wearing ice cream is almost as good as eating it…
OUR TOP PICKS:
1) ZARA: http://bit.ly/2twM0F9
2) RIVER ISLAND – http://bit.ly/2uqpSsj
3) ASOS - http://bit.ly/2u6hZJh
4) SHELN - http://bit.ly/2uqo1UC
In aid of National Dairy Month, we wanted to share
a tasty summer recipe that really shows off our legendary Vanilla Pod ice
cream! Made from whole milk and double cream. Our
Vanilla ice cream is wonderfully rich, with a thick & creamy texture like
Eton Mess is the perfect light and fruity dessert to end any summer meal and what’s more, it’s easy, elegant and takes only a matter of minutes to make; this means no slaving away in the kitchen on a hot day! Eton Mess is a classic British dessert, originating from Eton College in the 19th century, where it was served at their annual cricket games against Winchester College and has been enjoyed by the nation ever since. The simple recipe can be easily adapted however you like and tastes wonderful with the added addition of some traditional, velvety vanilla ice cream, for the ultimate indulgent dessert.
For this delightfully refreshing take on the Eton Mess, crush together the raspberries and all except for two of the strawberries so that the fruit becomes a pulp. The more berries, the merrier in this recipe and it’s entirely down to personal preference; we’re going to assume it definitely counts as 1 of our 5 a day too, right?
Season the fruity compote with the icing sugar and Kirsch. Then semi-whip the cream and icing sugar together. Break up the meringues into small pieces and cut the remaining strawberries into wedges. To serve, scoop a generous ball of New Forest Vanilla Pod ice cream into the bottom of each of six chilled sundae glasses. Cover the ice cream with a small amount of pulp and then top with the strawberry chunks. Finally, fold the crushed meringue with the rest of the pulp into the cream to form a lovely rippled effect. Spoon this mixture into the glasses and garnish each glass with a sprig of fresh mint.
And, your Eton Mess sundae is ready to serve! This treat is ideal for alfresco dining and BBQ’s and will definitely be a crowd pleaser this summer.
INGREDIENTS FOR 6 SERVINGS:
The New Forest Ice Cream parlour is located at the bottom of the main high street in Lymington and the perfect place for all the family to enjoy this summer. You’ll easily spot our lovely blue parlour with the iconic New Forest Ice Cream sign hanging outside, right beside the pedestrian route down to the Quay.
The combination of rich double cream & the finest fresh ingredients is the secret to our mouth-watering ice cream. And, we are delighted to offer over 20 flavours of ice cream and sorbet from our range at the New Forest Ice Cream parlour. We rotate our flavours regularly, giving customers the opportunity to try something new each time! The parlour is open Tuesday – Sunday during the summer & every day during the holidays, allowing visitors to the New Forest and residents to enjoy a creamy scoop of their favourite ice cream on-the-go, at any time. Will it be our refreshingly fruity Berry & Apple Crumble, or our on-trend Salted Caramel? Or perhaps you prefer something a little bit more traditional, like our legendary Chocolate Chip Ripple? With such a huge selection of old favourites and unique creations to choose from, there is sure to be something for all ages and everyone’s tastes.
In fact we have so much more than just ice cream , along with our extensive range of flavours that are ready to scoop and serve in any cone or tub of your choice, complete with tempting toppings. We also have a variety of indulgent sundaes, waffles, milkshakes & floats (which are definitely the best in town!), ideal for those that want to enjoy ice cream incorporated into something extra special. Alternatively, we do have cakes available which are the perfect accompaniment for your freshly brewed cup of tea or coffee.
We currently have a cake and coffee offer for £3.00. Customers popping in for a sit down coffee will receive a complimentary mini-cone of their favourite ice cream too, of course!
The New Forest Ice Cream parlour is the perfect location to sit, relax and enjoy something sweet!
Particularly when the warmer weather draws in around this time of year, we have many visitors to the New Forest who simply enjoy nothing more than going on long walks and mooching around the idyllic countryside that we’re lucky enough to have on our doorstep. Even the more reluctant of walkers have been known to love a good stroll in the New Forest because of the beautiful nature and picturesque surroundings. Walking is a great activity and a good form of exercise yet equally, enjoyable if you’re fond of the outdoors. Full of ancient woodland, heaths, pretty villages and a 40 mile secret coast, it’s really worth dedicating a few days to explore and take in the scenery. This is the perfect opportunity to bring out the picnic blankets and hampers; then finding the best spot for a tasty lunch in the forest!
With more than 140 miles of tracks and 193,000 acres, you can enjoy plenty of easy walking with lots of free-roaming animals to keep you company. The forest has too many walks to even list, so plan your route or go wherever the wind takes you. You will find plenty of information and guides to help you find your way which will definitely come in handy. Likewise, if you’re an avid cyclist; there is no better place to go on a long bike ride than the New Forest. With plenty of tracks and roads with cautious speed limits, bike rides can be safe and enjoyable. Of course, a bike ride or walk on a summer’s day is never complete without a pit stop for a refreshing ice cream but this just goes without saying. The New Forest Ice Cream Parlour is in Lymington and we have an unbelievable range of flavours to choose from!
One of the main attractions of the New Forest is all the amazing wildlife that you’re bound to come across during your trip. There are ponies, donkeys, cattle and deeper in the forest, wild deer are likely to be found lurking amongst the woodland. If you like to feel at one with nature and at peace away from modern life, the New Forest can be a therapeutic and tranquil place to visit. You may even come across some more interesting wildlife because the open heaths are very homey for adders and grass snakes. While the many pools of water are an ideal environment for frogs, toads and lizards if you’re lucky enough to see any.
The New Forest has plenty to offer for family fun days out of every kind, whatever the weather and whatever your mood, there is sure to be something that takes your fancy. With beautiful gardens and markets to take a leisurely stroll around, wildlife parks to visit on a sunny day or perhaps an interesting museum and spa visit, if you’re in need of some well-deserved relaxation. For something more adventurous that requires a little bit more energy, the New Forest has lots of extreme sports and activities to keep you busy, families can choose from horse riding to water sports and paddling down the beautiful Beaulieu River. The New Forest is also home to Go Ape, the UK’s best forest adventure! If you’re looking for a day out like no other, it is definitely worth a visit for a fun-filled experience at Moors Valley Country Park. The only time you’ll ever be able to soar down zip wires and jump off Tarzan swings with plenty of obstacles to tackle, all while taking in some breath-taking forest views.
OUR TOP TEN PICKS:
1) The beaches – The New Forest has many beaches nearby including Lepe Beach, Bournemouth, Southsea and Barton on Sea. Visitors have plenty to choose from if it is sand and sea they are looking for.
2) The parks - Moors Valley Country Park is a particular favourite!
3) The New Forest Ice Cream Parlour – There is no better place to go for a refreshing and creamy treat, there really is an unbelievable range to choose from!
4) Lepe Beach Country Park – The perfect location for picnics and ball games. A mile of beach, pine fringed cliffs and historic D-Day remains, with stunning views across the Solent from Hurst Castle to Portsmouth's Spinnaker Tower.
5) Paultons Park, Romsey – The home of Peppa Pig world and great fun for kids.
6) New Forest Activity Centre - Offering a wide range of outdoor activities for all age groups including: Kayaking, canoeing and archery.
7) Longdown Dairy Farm , Ashurst - Family attraction with farm animals, a trampoline barn, soft play area, produce shop and tearoom.
8) Exbury Gardens & Steam Railway - The perfect place for the whole family to spend the day with its impressive Rothschild flower collection, steam railway and more.
9) New Forest Wildlife Park – A collection of indigenous species in their natural surroundings.
10) Whitefield Moor – The heart of the ‘Old Forest’, tire the children out running around Whitefield Moor , enjoy a shady picnic by the tranquil Ober Water stream and see if you can spot any wild deer.
With spring creeping up on us once again, it’s about time we introduce the newest addition to the New Forest Ice Cream range. Our Berry & Apple Crumble ice cream provides a refreshing twist on the traditional dessert, ensuring it can be enjoyed all year round, whatever the weather! Featuring a delicious apple dairy base combined with real blackberry, apple and strawberry fruity inclusions and irresistible cookie dough crumble; the ice cream captures the iconic flavour perfectly. As we all know, crumble and ice cream is the best combination, which is why our Berry & Apple Crumble ice cream really offers the best of both worlds.
Made from our own traditional family recipe and developed from only the finest ingredients, the ice cream contains no artificial colours or preservatives. We have perfected the flavour and texture, ensuring the juicy fruit pieces and lovely crunch from the crumble really stands out. And, with a velvety cream base and a lovely pop of colour; it’s an ice cream that ticks all the boxes and is sure to be a hit with all ages.
Perfect for a generous scoop in a cone or tub, pop down to your local New Forest Ice Cream stockist to try our latest flavour for yourself and satisfy a craving for something fresh, sweet and indulgent.
HOW TO: DIY ICE CREAM BUNTING
We have been feeling quite creative in the New Forest Ice Cream office the past couple of weeks and decided it was time to create some fun ice cream inspired décor to add a splash of colour and brighten up our office while we patiently wait for summer! Helen, who works in our accounts team, has made a beautiful bunting that represents ice cream perfectly and looks lovely on our walls. Bunting is the perfect decorative piece for parties, homeware, offices or even a café, adding a cute shabby chic vibe!
If you fancy a little DIY project then continue reading this post to find out how to make Helen’s ice cream themed bunting. Once you’ve grasped the technique and made a template, you can make lots of different bunting of all colours and styles. Here is the step by step guide to make your perfect summer bunting.
1) Firstly, you need choose your materials – Helen chose pastel colours to reflect the look of ice cream and she also managed to find a material with an ice cream print on it which worked perfectly for this design.
2) You need to then make a template out of cardboard to ensure each flag is the same size. You also need to calculate how many flags you will need to reach the length of the space where you want your bunting to hang. Helen worked out that we would need 75 flags for the 50ft of our office walls.
3) Then you need to use a firm material to use as the backing of the flags to make sure they are supported and sturdy. Helen cut out 75 in total but you may need less or more depending on your calculations.
4) To construct the flags you need one backing piece and your chosen material you want on display, using a machine is the most efficient and securest way to sew the sides together. Ensure you sew them together with the patterned sides facing each other.
5) Once sewn together, turn the flags inside out to hide the sewed edges and use a knitting needle or another pointed object to ensure the point is pushed through properly.
6) Press all of your finished flags so they are nice and flat. Either use one long strip of material to attach the flags to or use leftover strips and sew them together to make one long one. This is what Helen did and it created a nice colourful effect of mismatched material which fitted the style of the bunting well.
7) Place each flag next to one another along the fabric strip and pin in place. Ensure that you have the flags facing the correct way once again and use the sewing machine to sew in place.
8) Turn the strip to make a hem on the side of the flags without the pattern; simply pin and machine sew again.
9) Lastly, make loops at each end of the bunting to make it easy to hang up.
Pancake Day is fast approaching and we’re all looking forward to demolishing some tasty pancakes here at New Forest Ice Cream and we thought we would share some of our favourite toppings. And, of course, many of them include ice cream, which just goes without saying! Whether you prefer a traditional crepe style pancake or something a little fluffier, a traditional lemon and sugar variety or lots of indulgent toppings; there is sure to be a pancake to suit all. Pancake Day only comes round once a year and that is the perfect excuse to go all out with the tempting toppings.
For a super simple pancake batter simply, put plain flour, eggs, milk and a pinch of salt into a bowl or large jug, then whisk to a smooth batter. Set a medium frying pan over a medium heat and carefully wipe it with some oiled kitchen paper and get ready to top your pancakes with tasty fillings.
3 large free-range eggs
115 g plain flour
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
140 ml milk
Alternatively, Jamie Oliver has a fantastic recipe for American pancakes which is easy enough once you get the hang of it. The great thing about this recipe is you can actually incorporate different things into the batter such as blueberries or chocolate chips, which make the pancakes even better and full of extra flavour! For this recipe you need to firstly, separate the eggs, putting the whites into one bowl and the yolks into another. Add the flour, baking powder and milk to the yolks and mix to a smooth thick batter. Whisk the whites with 1 pinch of sea salt until they form stiff peaks and then fold into the batter; then it is ready to use! Pour some of the batter into a medium heat non-stick pan and cook for a couple of minutes, until it starts to look golden and firm. At this point you can sprinkle your chosen flavourings onto the uncooked side before loosening with a spatula and flipping the pancake over. Continue frying until both sides are golden and begin to pile them up high on a plate, ready to go!
You can make these pancakes large or small, depending on what you prefer. Choosing your toppings is the fun bit so let your imagination run wild; the possibilities are endless! If you’re not feeling too inspired by Pancake Day this year, then just continue to read this post and we will entice you with some amazing ideas.
1) HEALTHY & FRESH - Greek Yoghurt, fresh berries or any fruit of your choice and a drizzle of golden honey. This is a simple, delicious, great if you’re having your pancakes for breakfast and do not want to over indulge.
2) FRO-YO WITH A CRUNCH - Frozen yoghurt, maple syrup & pecans ; once again, a slightly healthier alternative becau se of the frozen yoghurt which is beautifully refreshing and sweetened perfectly with the maple syrup, while the crumbled pecans add a lovely crunch.
3) PEANUT BUTTER GLORY - Chocolate, peanut butter & banana is just the best combination of flavours. The amazing sweetness from the banana and chocolate contrast with the saltiness from the peanut butter. If you want to make these extra special, dollop with a scoop of our Salted Caramel ice cream too.
4) LOTUS OVERLOAD - Lotus syrup and lotus ice cream for the ultimately indulgent pancakes. Add Biscoff Spread and milk in a bowl and heat in a microwave for short time (5 seconds). Mix well until you get a liquid mixture. Add a nice scoop of our Lotus Caramelised Biscoff ice cream onto the pancakes and pour over the syrup while still hot, you can even crumble over some traditional lotus biscuits and blueberries as the final touch - lotus heaven!